(skip this header)

Darien News

Wednesday, April 16, 2014

dariennewsonline.com Businesses

« Back to Article

No one injured in chimney fire

Published 1:28 pm, Tuesday, December 3, 2013
Larger | Smaller
Email This
Font

More Information

Fact box
Page 1 of 1

A fire in the chimney of a Hanson Road home Nov. 27 is still being investigated by the Darien deputy fire marshal.

The homeowner heard a rumbling sound "like a locomotive" after lighting a fire just after 6 p.m., according to Deputy Fire Marshal Marc McEwen, who was on the scene.

The homeowner went outside and saw embers coming out of the top of the chimney and called the 9-1-1.

The Noroton Heights Fire Department arrived on scene shortly after the call to extinguish the fire, which had spread into the second-story walls near the chimney, according to police. The walls were opened up to put out the remainder of the fire.

There were no injuries reported. McEwen's investigation continues while he researches the chimney and fireplace. The estimate of the damage is unknown.