Another phone scam fails
Published 5:09 pm, Tuesday, February 11, 2014
Just a week after one phone scam was thwarted, the same method was attempted again with another Darien man.
Police said a 55-year-old man received a call at 9:15 a.m. Feb. 4 from an unidentified Hispanic male who spoke with broken English.
Similar to a Feb. 2 incident, the caller told the victim that his brother had been involved in a car accident and had been kidnapped, police said. The caller also said he had hit the man's brother with a gun and that he was going to kill him.
The caller hung up before asking for ransom, police said.
The victim, who reported the incident to police at 9:40 a.m., called his brother who said that he was OK.