(skip this header)

Darien News

Monday, April 21, 2014

dariennewsonline.com Businesses

« Back to Article

Attempted phone scam thwarted

Published 11:31 am, Tuesday, February 4, 2014
Larger | Smaller
Email This
Font

More Information

Fact box
Page 1 of 1

A 78-year-old Watch Tower Drive man was almost swindled out of $2,000 Feb. 2, police said.

Darien police said he received a call from a man who said he kidnapped the complainant's son following a motor vehicle accident and for $2,000, the complainant's son would be released. Initially, police said, the caller said the complainant's brother had been in an accident but changed his story when he learned the complainant didn't have a brother.

The victim did not wire any money to the caller. He also received a call from his 42-year-old son who said he was fine and not involved in an accident.

The police attempted to call the number but the caller did not pick up the phone and the voice mailbox had not been set up.