A Tokeneke residence caught fire Tuesday afternoon after a cigarette landed on a door mat and ignited a propane tank that was attached to a gas grill, Fire Marshal Robert Buch said.

"It basically created a blow torch," Buch said.

The first police officers to arrive at the scene used fire extinguishers and shoveled snow to keep the flames in check until the fire department arrived, Buch said.

"Most of the damage was to the exterior of the building," Buch said.

Ross Mix, who lives nearby, said he heard an explosion and saw black smoke and flames at the residence.

"The fire wasn't as bad when everyone got here," Mix said.

After hearing the explosion and seeing the flames, Mix quickly dialed 9-1-1 and told the dispatcher what happened.

"I was one of the first to call and they told me that they had already sent the fire department," Mix said.

No injuries were reported.