(skip this header)

Darien News

Friday, April 18, 2014

dariennewsonline.com Businesses

« Back to Article

Fire damages garage, first floor of Darien home

Published 4:51 pm, Wednesday, November 28, 2012

nextprevious

  • Firefighters responding to a garage fire at 58 Knollwood Lane on Nov. 19. Photo: Contributed
    Firefighters responding to a garage fire at 58 Knollwood Lane on Nov. 19. Photo: Contributed

 

Larger | Smaller
Email This
Font

More Information

Fact box
Page 1 of 1

A fire at a house on Knollwood Lane -- which the fire marshal said was caused by improperly discarded fireplace ashes -- damaged an attached garage.

The fire was reported at 1 p.m. on Wednesday, Nov. 19. Police and fire responded.

Darien Fire Marshal Bob Buch described the fire as "huge."

Seven fire trucks and 41 firefighters were on scene of the fire, which caused "a considerable amount of damage to the garage and heat and smoke damage to the rest of the house," said Buch. No dollar estimate for damages was available.

The occupants "had a fire in the fireplace the night before," Buch said. "They cleaned out the fireplace at lunch time and threw the ashes away in a garbage bag and put it in the garage. About an hour later they had a fire."

Buch said the family smelled smoke, someone entered the garage and saw the fire and emergency crews were called.

No one was injured.

--Megan Davis