He was born May 31, 1922, in Danbury, son of the late E. Paul Martin and Louise Heinen Martin. He was the eldest of three children.
He was a lifelong resident of New Milford.
Mr. Martin used his Navy fire-fighting training as a volunteer for Water Witch Hose Co. No. 2 in New Milford.
As a young veteran he joined the American Legion Ezra Woods Post No. 31 in New Milford and organized a monument dedication on the Green.
He was a Boy Scout master for New Milford.
Mr. Martin started working at Kimberly-Clark Corp. the year the plant opened in 1958 and retired in 1986 after 28 years.
Even after the life-altering illness he experienced in 2010, his helpful personality remained. He was an enthusiastic and responsible volunteer, selecting and watering plants on the Green with his Garden Club member daughter, and he was proud of making the World War I monument in town look its best in the summer of 2011.
Mr. Martin is survived by his children, Melanie L. Martin, of New Milford; Paul E. Martin Jr., of Danbury; Peter H. Martin and his wife, Melissa, of Sheffield, Mass.; Marita M. Howland and her husband, Jeffery, of Spartanburg, S.C.; Gerard M. Martin, of Brookfield; Clement C. Martin and his wife, Kathleen, of New Milford; and Marcella Martin, of New Milford; 12 grandchildren, Halaia Paetsch Chiarella, of Danbury; Taura Paetsch Walsh, of New Milford; Ehren, Shawn and Kevin Howland, of Spartanberg; Jennifer Martin, of New Milford, Emily, Emerson, Lindie and Charlotte Martin, of Sheffield, and Luke and Blaze Martin, of New Milford; two great-grandsons, Colin Walsh and Drew Chiarella; a brother, William F. Martin, of Vero Beach, Fla.; a sister, Sarah "Sally" Martin Cuddy, of Bridgewater; and many nieces and nephews.
A funeral service will take place Sunday at 2 p.m. at the Lillis Funeral Home, 58 Bridge St., New Milford.
Private burial will be at St. Francis Cemetery at the convenience of the family.
Friends may call Sunday from 12:30 p.m. until the time of the service at the funeral home.
In lieu of flowers, memorials may be made to the New Milford Food Bank, Main Street, New Milford CT 06776.