Way Back When... 1708
Published 12:00 am, Saturday, October 21, 2017
In 1708 Richard Scofield and Thomas Youngs were granted a permit to erect a grist mill and dam there at the mouth of Pine Brook.
It was known as Scofield's Mill and later Clock's Mill and Landing, after Scofield conveyed the property to his German son-in-law, John Klock. Captain George Gorham bought the mill in 1740, and it remained in the Gorham family for nearly 200 years.
The area, however, was still known as Clock's Landing well into the 19th century, when the name Ring's End began to appear in the land records.
Most houses were built near the harbors on the Sound or along the Country Road, whose course roughly corresponded to the present Post Road from the Noroton River as far as Stony Brook, thence along Old King's Highway to the Norwalk line at Five Mile River.
The Country Road was no more than a rough "cartpath," fit only for travel on horseback, even though it was the main highway connecting New York and Boston. In 1737 the Middlesex Ecclesiastical Society was established, and by 1744 a meetinghouse was built.
By 1772, the Country Road was so improved that a stagecoach schedule was established between Boston and New York. The stage made a round trip every two weeks, but was discontinued during the Revolution, when the British forces occupied New York. By that time many famous men had already traveled along the road, George Washington among them.
The above information was gathered from the town of Darien “A Brief History” and from the Friends of Gorham Pond.