STAMFORD — The home invasion trial of a Stamford man accused of letting himself into a Springdale apartment and lying in wait until his former girlfriend’s date arrived before nearly sawing the man’s hand off is set to begin today.

Cesar Oliverio, 37, is facing charges of home invasion, first-degree assault and first-degree burglary for nearly severing the hand of a 47-year-old New York man.

An 11th hour attempt at putting together a plea bargain for Oliverio and avoiding trial failed Friday afternoon, court watchers say.

On June 26, 2015 Oliverio allegedly entered the Camp Avenue apartment the couple shared before breaking up about two weeks earlier and waited for her return. According to a police report of the incident, the woman told police that she and the victim arrived at the apartment after having drinks in a White Plains bar, and the man went straight to the bathroom.

When he came out, she saw Oliverio “come out of nowhere” with a saw in his hands walking toward her, according to the police report. Oliverio allegedly pushed her to the ground and began cursing the man, accusing him of sleeping with his girlfriend.

The victim pleaded with Oliverio, saying the two were only friends and then, according to the police report, Oliverio began hacking at the man with the saw.

The man told police he tried to defend himself but Oliverio swung the saw nonstop 15 or 20 times directly to his head in an attempt to kill him, the police report says. The victim sustained severe injuries to his head, arms, face and both hands.

His left hand had several broken bones and had been about 50 percent amputated in the attack, police said.

Witnesses will be testifying in the case all week.

jnickerson@stamfordadvocate.com