Darien police are in the process of filing arrest warrants for two juveniles who admitted to sending threatening letters containing a non-toxic white powder to two town residences last week, according to Detective Mark Cappelli.

Cappelli said the charges could include breach of peace and threatening, but the final decision belongs to the judge.

The identity of the two females, who were both born in 1996, will remain confidential due to their age.

The first letter was reported Monday, Sept. 2, and a second was reported the following morning. Numerous law enforcement and other agencies responded to the incidents, including the Darien Police, Connecticut State Police, the FBI, the Stamford Police Bomb Squad, the Department of Environmental Protection, the Darien Fire Marshal's Office, the Darien Fire Department and Darien EMS, a police statement said.

The confessions came after members of the Darien Police Detective Division, youth division, and the school resource officer met with the two females and their parents regarding the incidents.

The two girls told police that the residences they targeted were chosen randomly, and that they had no connection to them.

mspicer@bcnnew.com;203-330-6583; @Meg_DarienNews

More Information

Fact box