A former Darien doctor arrested in March after police said he kicked his wife so hard he fractured her jaw was arrested again Monday for violating a protective order by calling her 13 times in one day and asking her to drop the charges.

Robert George, 74, was arrested by Darien police and charged with 13 counts of violating a judge's protective order and witness tampering. He was released after posting a $75,000 court appearance bond.

On March 27 George, a retired orthopedic surgeon a former member of the Darien Representative Town Meeting, was charged with second-degree assault on an elderly person, disorderly conduct and second-degree threatening. He was released after posting a $50,000 court appearance bond.

Following the March arrest, George was prohibited from contacting his wife after a Stamford judge issued a full protective order against him.

According to his two-page arrest affidavit, George's wife called police in July to tell them her husband was calling her.

A police officer went to George's wife's home to investigate and saw the caller identification on her phone which showed Robert George calling the home 13 times in one day beginning at 8 a.m. on July 14.

George's Stamford defense attorney, Mickey Sherman, said there was no violence involved in the new charges and he was probably just trying to make things better with his wife.

"There was no ill motive for him calling her at any time," he said, while acknowledging that the restraining order he was put under did not allow him to do that.

Sherman said George is doing everything he can to get better.

"From the moment this tragedy occurred, he has been getting treatment in a comprehensive manner where all the phases of his behavior are being addressed," Sherman said.

Back in March, George's wife reported to Darien police that she was involved in a verbal altercation with her husband after telling him he needed to see a substance abuse counselor, police said. When she attempted to contact a counselor, George slapped her on the back, police said.

When she fell to the ground, George kicked her about five times, fracturing her jaw and loosening two of her front teeth, police said.