A fire that broke out on the second floor of a Darien home Wednesday afternoon was quickly extinguished.

Noroton Heights Fire Chief Ron Riolo said the fire was reported at 12:46 p.m. and about 40 firefighters from Noroton, Noroton Heights and Darien were able to knock down the blaze within 20 minutes.

Fire Marshal Bob Buch said Thursday that the fire started in the attic space above the master bedroom. Riolo said the 2 1/2-story home at 261 Hollow Tree Ridge Road sustained extensive damage to the second floor and the master bedroom was gutted.

Buch said there was an exhaust flue for a gas fireplace and "some electrical stuff" in the attic but has not determined the ultimate cause of the fire.

Riolo added that there was water damage on the first floor and damage in the attic.

When firefighters arrived on scene, "fire was blowing out of the roof," Riolo said.

More Information

Fact box

Firefighters were forced to rip open the home's attic to put out the blaze.

Riolo said the residents got out safely, but will not be able to return to the home any time soon.

The female owner of the home declined to comment about the fire.

One of the firefighters sustained minor injuries after he fell through a ceiling in the home.

Additional reporting from John Nickerson.

mspicer@bcnnew.com; 203-330-6583; @Meg_DarienNews