Mark Whitehead, 52, of 47 Tulip Tree Lane, Darien, was arrested March 4 on a charge of breach of peace.

He was arrested on a warrant for a Feb. 5 incident.

A Darien officer on patrol on Old Kings Highway North saw a male walking on the road at 8:35 p.m. The man, who later was identified as Whitehead, flagged down the officer and told her he was walking to the gas station to buy cigarettes and asked for a ride, the report stated. The officer, who reported detecting the odor of alcohol on Whitehead, offered to give him a ride home, which he accepted, police said.

At 9 p.m., police were dispatched to the area of Red Rose Circle and Raymond Street on reports of yelling and a single gunshot. While on Raymond Street near Whitehead's home, a jogger approached the officers and asked if they were looking for a man who was yelling at people and directed them to Whitehead's home, according to the report. Police said the jogger denied hearing any gunshots.

At the complainant's home, officers were told that she heard yelling and a possible gunshot, police said.

Whitehead, who had been outside, slammed the front door as he went inside, opened the windows and started yelling, according to the report. Police said Whitehead would not answer the door at the request of officers, who reported hearing loud banging and howling.

According to the report, officers entered the home with the belief that Whitehead could have been in medical distress, and met him in his bedroom, where he told police he did not have a gun and denied yelling.

Officers warned him that if he yelled at his neighbors again, he would be arrested for breach of peace, which Whitehead said he understood, according to the report.

However, before police could leave his property, Whitehead opened his bedroom window and yelled profanities to his neighbor, the report stated. As officers approached the home again, Whitehead went onto his front porch and yelled at the police to get off his property, according to the report. He then closed the door, turned off the front porch lights and would not answer the door, police said.

Police then applied for the arrest warrant. He was arrested at his home without incident, police said.

He was held in lieu of $250 bond and was scheduled to appear in court March 4.

More Information

Fact box