Westport firefighters quickly put out brush fire
WESTPORT — A brush fire in town was quickly extinguished by firefighters Wednesday, officials said.
Engine Company 4 responded to an address on Post Road East for a report of a brush fire Wednesday afternoon. No one was injured.
Whether its burning dead branches or a driver tossing a lit cigarette butt out a car window, the cause of brush fires are commonly unintentionally caused by people.
Once a brush fire starts, the blaze can quickly spread, especially if it is surrounded by other brush — specifically dead vegetation.
To avoid brush fires, closely monitor anything your are burning in a controlled manner, be responsible and call 911 if you need help extinguishing a brush fire.