By John Nickerson

Upgraded charges are being pursued against the 42-year-old man whose mother died as a result of the beating police said he gave her.

Following an autopsy, the state Office of the Chief Medical Examiner ruled that 76-year-old former Darien resident Maryann Anderson's death was a homicide, caused by blunt force trauma to the head, Lt. Diedrich Hohn said. Hohn said investigators will seek a judge's signature on an arrest warrant for Timothy Anderson containing charges such as manslaughter or murder.

Before his mother died, Anderson was charged with first-degree assault, third-degree assault, unlawful restraint and disorderly conduct. He was being held at the Bridgeport Correctional Center in lieu of $500,000 bond.

Hohn said he has talked to Maryann Anderson's family -- she was the mother of five children -- and was told they want Timothy Anderson's charges increased.

"They want him to be held accountable," Hohn said.

Maryann Anderson raised her children on West Avenue in Darien before moving to the home on Sleepy Hollow Lane where police say she was attacked by her son around 4:30 p.m. March 23. She died March 26 after her family took her off life support at Stamford Hospital. Anderson will likely see the charges against him and his bond increase when he arrives at state Superior Court in Stamford for his next scheduled appearance on April 21, Hohn said.

According to a police report, Maryann Anderson and another son decided to confront Timothy Anderson on March23 about not taking medication for psychological problem. They told police he had began acting strangely, spending time alone, pacing and yelling for no apparent reason.

Timothy Anderson became very upset and insisted he was taking his pills. When she told him she found his pills in the trash earlier that day, he grabbed her by the collar and repeatedly punched her in the face, the police report said.

Hearing his mother's screams, the older brother pulled Timothy Anderson off his mother, took him outside and called 911. But Anderson returned to the house to strike his mother again before running off into the woods of Sleepy Hollow Park, police said. He was found less than 10 minutes later and take into custody.

After being taken to the hospital, doctors found that Anderson had bleeding on the brain and she was brought into emergency surgery to remove a part of her skull to alleviate pressure causing swelling. She later slipped into a coma and was put on a ventilator. Her family took her off the ventilator at about 3 p.m. on March 26, and she died a short time later.;