Darien home suffers extensive fire damage
Published 5:22 pm, Thursday, November 4, 2010
A Sunset Road home suffered extensive damage after a fire broke out last night.
The fire started in a family room in the rear of the house which was part of an addition that was added onto the home in the 1960s, Fire Marshal Robert Buch said.
"They had a fireplace going earlier in the evening and then went to bed," Buch said. "It appears that sparks popped out and the owners woke up to smell smoke."
Buch said the husband and wife opened their bedroom door to find the second floor hallway filled with smoke. At that time, they left the house before the husband went back in to locate their dog, Buch said. The husband was later treated for minor smoke inhalation, Buch said.
The home suffered extensive damage from fire, heat and smoke, Buch said. He believes the home will be a complete loss.