DARIEN — An intoxicated 16-year-old from Stamford was charged with assault and burglary after he allegedly attacked police, EMS personnel from Post 53 and residents of a home he entered in Darien.

On July 16 around 4:45 p.m., the Stamford teen knocked on the door of a Post Road home, which was answered by a a 10-year-old Darien resident. The teen showed signs of intoxication; he was sweating heavily and speaking incoherently. The 10-year-old left the house and called his parents, who called their 17-year-old son who was also at home but unaware of what was going on. The 17-year-old Darien boy confronted the Stamford teen and a fight ensued where the Stamford teen struck the Darien teen.

The Darien teen left the house and waited outside for his parents who arrived home a short while later. One of the parents entered the house and confronted the Stamford teen. The teen became aggressive and attempted to attack the homeowner, at which point, the homeowner left the house and called police.

Darien officers arrived and confronted the Stamford teen, who became aggressive with officers and refused to comply with their orders. The teen was then physically taken into custody, causing minor injuries to two officers during the process.

Post 53 responded due to the Stamford teen’s impairments and ongoing aggression. An officer accompanied the teen in the ambulance, where he broke free of his restraints several times. The officer had to re-secure the teen’s leg restraints several times due to his outbursts, one of which caused face and nose injuries to a Post 53 member after the teen kicked him in the face.

The Stamford teen was taken to Stamford Hospital where he was watched by two officers as he was treated by the hospital’s emergency department. After the teen sobered up, a youth detective met with him and his parents. The 16-year-old was charged with risk of injury to a minor, third-degree assault, second-degree burglary, interfering with an officer and three counts of assault of a public safety personnel. He was was released into his parents’ care ahead of a scheduled appearance July 18 in Stamford Juvenile Court.

None of the officers hurt on scene needed emergency medical attention. The injured Post 53 member was treated at Stamford Hospital.

ekayata@hearstmediact.com; @erin_kayata