Towed car leads to scuffle

A Darien man was charged Friday, July 31, with breach of peace after a scuffle with a tow truck driver attempting to tow a friend’s car from the parking lot of the Heights of Darien, according to Police Detective Mark Cappelli.

Police responded to Allen O’Neill Drive on a reported dispute over a tow truck operator trying to tow an illegally parked 2000 Mitsubishi Gallant from the public housing development’s parking lot, Cappelli said.

Police interviewed Carlos Torres, 37, of Allen O’Neill Drive, who said he had almost been struck by the bed of the tow truck when the driver lowered it, according to Cappelli. Torres said the tow truck driver struck him in the face, according to Cappelli.

The tow truck driver said Torres attempted to wrench loose the hydraulic lines that operate the truck’s bed, and tried to remove the tow hook from the vehicle unsuccessfully, Cappelli said. Torres then tried to break into a tool box on the side of the truck, the tow driver told police, according to Cappelli.

A cellphone video shared by a bystander and viewed by police showed Torres was the aggressor in the incident, according to Cappelli.

Torres was charged with breach of peace and released on a promise to appear in state Superior Court in Stamford, according to Cappelli.

Cars reported burglarized

Police are investigating two motor vehicle burglaries of unlocked cars overnight July 31 into Aug. 1 at homes on Pear Tree Point Road, according to Detective Mark Cappelli. A resident reported a 2013 Mercedes had been parked and left unlocked at 10:30 p.m. on July 31, Cappelli said. When the owner returned at 1:45 p.m. on Aug. 1, they found $50 in change had been stolen, according to Cappelli.

A neighborhood canvass found that an unlocked 2006 Audi A-8 had also been rifled through, but a description of what was stolen was not available, Cappelli said.

Wallet reported swiped

A Goodwives River Road resident reported a wallet was taken from her purse in her residence sometime between Wednesday, July 29, and Friday, July 31, according to Darien Police Detective Mark Cappelli. The woman subsequently discovered charges totaling $289.63 were made on a stolen debit card, according to Cappelli.