DARIEN -- A second arrest has been made in the investigation of an assault at an underage drinking party that left one youth in the hospital with serious injuries.

Police arrested a youthful offender who was charged with second-degree assault and was scheduled to appear in court in the next few weeks, police said. Police do not anticipate making any additional arrests.

Police said the victim, who was released from Stamford Hospital, sustained serious injuries.

According to a source, the victim suffered a concussion, a broken bone in his neck, facial lacerations, and had surgery Wednesday repair his broken nose. He has been released from the hospital.

Scott Waters, 18, of 5 Walmesley Road, was charged with second-degree assault. Waters was on the Darien football team last year and is listed on the roster this year at Canterbury School.

Police also charged a juvenile with providing alcohol to minors.

The incident is still under investigation as police said they believe multiple people were involved in the fight and further charges may be brought.

Sources close to the program identified the players as one of the star receivers and a defensive lineman. Suspensions were for violation of team rules: being at the party Friday where alcohol was served.

As a result of the fight, Superintendent of Schools Stephen Falcone said the district launched its own investigation and took "necessary and appropriate disciplinary action" against those involved.

Police said it is common for the schools to contact them in order to get more information about the incident for their own investigation.

Waters posted a $500 bond and the youth offender posted a $250 bond. Both are scheduled to appear in court Nov. 30.

According to the police report, officers responded to an assault complaint at 11:40 p.m. and found a male sitting on a stone wall near Hollow Tree Ridge Road and Christie Hill Road with bruises and cuts on his face. The male first told police he fell in the road, but later admitted he was at a party and was assaulted "by people who didn't want him there," police said.

Darien and New Canaan play Thursday. A berth in the CIAC Class L playoffs is on the line. Both teams are 8-1.

New Canaan coach Lou Marinelli commented on the situation.

"It's a shame," he said. "It's just a shame. If we win tomorrow, we want them to be at full strength. It's too bad."

Five Darien football players were suspended from playing in last year's Turkey Bowl following an incident in which New Canaan High School was vandalized. Police responded to New Canaan High School at 6:37 a.m. after receiving reports that portions of the building were spray-painted blue.

The building at the entrance to Dunning Field was also spray-painted as well as the New Canaan symbol on the clock. All of the individuals involved were required to pay $1,500 in restitution.

Dave Ruden contributed to this story.