DARIEN — A routine stop at a Darien Mobil Station Dec. 26 turned into a long night in police custody for a 30-year-old Stamford woman.

Around 12:30 a.m. Monday morning, a Darien police officer observed a red Honda Accord parked at the closed gas station at 211 Post Road. The officer drove by twice and, because there had been numerous burglaries and larcenies in the area, pulled into the parking lot, according to a police report.

After running a check on the vehicle’s plates, the officer determined they were registered to Joanna Jack, of Hope Street, Stamford, and that she had an active arrest warrant out of Stamford for failure to appear, the report said.

The officer then approached the car, where Jack was sitting in the driver’s seat with the engine running and the lights on.

Jack allegedly became argumentative with the officer when he asked for her license, registration and insurance, asking, “Why do you need my driver’s license? I did nothing wrong,” according to police.

Unable to locate her identification, Jack reached into the glove box, then into the back seat and finally exited the vehicle to look for her purse, where her license was said to be, in the trunk of the car. She re-entered the car and ultimately found the purse, with her license inside, behind the passenger seat, police said.

At that point, police said, Jack began to act paranoid. Officers noticed her eyes were wide open at times and she had a blank stare. Several times Jack asked in a panicked tone why the officers needed her license and repeated that she had not done anything wrong.

When officers requested Jack exit the vehicle, she refused, locked her doors and attempted to roll up the window. Two additional officers had arrived by that point, one of whom grabbed hold of the window to prevent it from rolling up and advised Jack he would break the window if she did not stop, according to police.

Jack continued to resist when officers told her she was under arrest, reaching for the center console and putting her foot on the brake as if to shift into reverse and flee, police said. One officer reached in through the window and removed the keys from the ignition. A second officer freed Jack’s arm from the passenger seat, which Jack was clinging to in an attempt to remain in her vehicle. According to the report, Jack began yelling that she was recording the exchange on her phone while police attempted to remove her from the car.

Officers eventually pulled Jack from the vehicle and to the ground, attempting to handcuff her as she continued to resist. Ultimately, she was subdued and handcuffed. In the midst of the struggle, a square piece of aluminum foil containing a green leafy substance in the fold was found on the ground.

Additional squares of aluminum foil, plus a blunt cigar, containing the same green leafy substance and emitting a chemical smell consistent with the hallucinogenic PCP, were found on the driver’s side floorboard.

Jack was placed in the rear of the police car and then removed after complaining of difficulty breathing, according to police. Police began treating Jack, who said she was having an asthma attack, with oxygen and Post 53 was called.

Upon reviewing the in-car camera after Jack had been removed and transported to Stamford Hospital with Post 53, it appeared that Jack had reached into the rear of her pants while handcuffed. Additional aluminum folds were found in the back seat of the cruiser and tested positive for PCP, according to the report.

While being transported, Jack reportedly told EMS personnel she had been smoking PCP all day. Once at the hospital, Jack’s mood changed and she became combative. She was released back into police custody at 5:30 a.m. after being administered sedatives. During processing, the 30-year-old stated she did not remember anything that happened during the night, police said.

Jack’s vehicle was towed and she was held on $2,500 bond for possession of narcotics, possession of drug paraphernalia and interfering with officers in Darien. She was held on $10,000 court-set bond for the active failure to appear warrant in Stamford. She remained in custody until her Tuesday court date.

justin.papp@scni.com; @justinjpapp1