On the Market / 1929 Tudor home built by famed local architect for sale
Published 12:00 am, Wednesday, February 28, 2018
FAIRFIELD — Bridgeport architect Ernest G. Southey (1873-1945) has a long list of impressive credits on his curriculum vitae. Among his designs are the Park City’s Casino, also known as the bath house at Seaside Park, and Bijou Theatre.
“The Bijou Theatre has a long and colorful history dating back to 1909. Silent films were growing in popularity and Lillian Ashmun commissioned architect Ernest G. Southey to design a movie house with a two-story ballroom above,” according to the website www.bijoutheatre.net.
Southey also drew up the plans for the original Westport Town Hall, Bridgeport’s Bassick High School, Danbury High School, and a landmark brick, stone and wood Tudor house at 255 Algonquin Road. The seven-room house was built in 1929 on a 0.66-acre level and sloping property in the Brooklawn Park Association across the street from the Brooklawn Country Club and golf course. It is one of 57 houses in the association, which has its own private sewer system.
The house has 4,454 square feet of living space and its architectural features include hand-troweled plaster ceilings, leaded glass windows - some with stained glass medallions, a slate roof, and custom millwork, all of which would probably make a house prohibitively expensive to build today, even though Vision Appraisal puts the replacement cost at $1,129,414. The level of detail and craftsmanship that went into the construction of this house are evident beginning on the front façade where the red brick in some areas, separated by hand-hewn timbers, are arranged in basket-weave and herringbone patterns. The doors on the three-car attached garage are also ornately designed.
A slate path lined with attractive landscaping - including hydrangeas and hostas, leads to the decorative paneled front door, which is framed by hand-carved limestone surround. The decorative motif includes Tudor roses. Inside, the interior has the feel of an English club, according to the realtor. The formal living room has oak wood paneled walls, a large fireplace with a carved limestone surround, and ornately carved wood on the wall above the fireplace which includes more Tudor roses. This room also features built-in bookshelves and a hand-carved newel post.
French doors open from the living room into the sun room, and another set of French doors leads to a small bluestone sitting area in the backyard. The yard contains an in-ground swimming pool. In the formal dining room there are plaster walls, and a picture “railing” in the crown molding that allows paintings or photographs to be displayed without having to hammer nails into the walls. A café-style door opens into a large butler’s pantry, which features a slate floor, wood counters, and glass-front cabinetry. A detailed, framed pencil sketch of this house hangs in the dining room and will be passed to the next owner along with Southey’s blueprints.
ABOUT THIS HOUSE
TYPE OF HOUSE: Tudor
ADDRESS: 255 Algonquin Road
NUMBER OF ROOMS: 7
FEATURES: 0.66-acre level and sloping lot, heated in-ground swimming pool, recent kitchen and bath renovations, slate roof, patio, open porch, three-season porch, custom millwork, front and rear stairs, finished walk-up attic, neighborhood association, convenient to shopping and restaurants, gas heat, full unfinished basement, three-car attached garage with one tandem bay, easy access to public transportation, four bedrooms, three full and one half baths
SCHOOLS: Stratfield Elementary, Tomlinson Middle, Fairfield Warde High
TAX RATE: 25.82 mills
ASSOCIATION FEE: $1,045
The new gourmet kitchen features a slate floor, granite counters, off white ceramic subway tile backsplash, farm sink, and high-end appliances including a Thermador professional six-burner range with a grill and a Liebherr refrigerator. A passageway from the kitchen to living room has a built-in desk. A second passage has a half bath and a pantry closet.
The mudroom accesses the garage and the rear stairs. This staircase is the only one that accesses the third floor, which in its early years contained the staff quarters. It is now used as an office and has a full bath, a large craft or gift-wrapping room, and another room that could be a playroom or bedroom. A second mudroom has built-ins used for pool supplies storage, including towels, and it accesses the basement where there is a large former laundry room with double utility sinks, and lots of storage. The second mudroom has a door to a patio with a grill, the backyard, the pool, a dining area, and a flower garden lined in Belgium block.
On the second floor all four bedrooms have two doors from which to enter and exit. There is also a family room above the garage. The good-size master suite has a sitting area, dressing room and two walk-in closets. Its marble bath has a long rectangular sink, large shower, and large-scale white ceramic subway tile backsplash.
There will be an Open House on Sunday (March 4), from 1 to 3 pm.
For more information or to set up an appointment to see the house contact Dorothy E. Curran of Weichert Real Estate at 203-246-0543 or firstname.lastname@example.org.